Monday, February 9, 2009

Simple Words – You can make a difference!

I must confess, I think I have the ‘FB’ bug. I really enjoy the connections I’m making with people and getting reacquainted with old friends through – dare I say it - Facebook. I’m finding FB a great way to touch people, even if it is only a cyber-touch. I know there is concern by many that people can begin living in a fantasy world through this but I plan watch myself carefully.

The other day I sent several simple notes of encouragement to friends and church members via FB. I was very surprised by the responses. One young man from our church who is normally very quiet and reserved responded with something that showed me the power of this form of communication. He wrote, “You're a great Pastor and thank you for teaching the word of God to me!”

When I read those words I realized how powerful FB and other Social CyberNetworks can be. As I’ve grown older (and I hope wiser) I think I’m past the need to hear praise from people about my service as a Pastor. In order for Pastors to be healthy and secure they need to learn early in their ministries not to count on a lot of praise, so that’s something I don’t look for. But when a simple sentence like that is expressed by a quiet teenager, it is powerful. I’m considering framing it to always remind me that a quiet teenager is possibly listening and watching.

The book of Proverbs gives us a glimpse into the power of words. Solomon wrote, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits”.(1) He also wrote, “Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body”(2) and “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver”.(3)

When the right words role off of our tongues or are typed onto our message boards, they can release a wellspring of life! We can make someone’s day, week, year or even life. Each one of us has that awesome capability and we need to use it more often. We need to carve out time from our hectic lifestyles to send people simple messages of encouragement that can revive fresh life in them.

(1) Proverbs 18:21
(2) Proverbs 16:24
(3) Proverbs 25:11

No comments: