Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 - Are you in the game?

I just returned from speaking to between 250 and 300 passionate young German Christians. One of the questions I challenged them with was, "Are you in the game?" I spoke about the tendancy many people have to fear failure. As a result, they hold back from trying things that are challenging. 

The famous basketball player Michael Jordan reportedly said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career, I've lost almost 300 games and 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again and that's why I'm a success." 

Did you catch that last sentance? "I've failed over and over and over again and that's why I'm a success."

In response to the difficulty he had inventing the storage battery, Thomas Edison is quoted as saying, "I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." He also said, "Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

I love the San Antonio Spurs basketball team. They are coached by a future hall of fame coach named Greg Popovich (Pop). Often new or young players are nervous about missing shots so they hold back. That makes Pop angry. He tells them he doesn't care if they miss the shot, they need to shoot the ball or there will be NO CHANCE of making a basket. He best players miss half of the time anyway.
 
Unfortunately many people stop trying things that are challenging because they are afraid to fail. We need to believe that whatever God desires to do, no matter how impossible it may seem, He is able. But there is one huge catch. While God could do anything He wants on His own, He has chosen to work through people. The Apostle Paul said Christians are co-workers with God.

Coming back to the Soccer game analogy. God is the captian of the team. He is perfect, knows exactly what to do and how to do it. When we listen to Him, He will tell us exactly where to be so He can pass us the ball and we can score a goal. When we cooperate with Him we will win every time.

Are you in the game? Are you ready to take the pass and score a goal? Or has fear of failure gripped your heart preventing you from succeeding? 

FEAR NOT! Place your faith in God and move forward with Him into victory in 2009!

No comments: